One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of meat (often corned beef), cabbage or other vegetables, and potatoes, prepared by simmering in water.
- ‘A common meat dish was New England boiled dinner, a one-pot meal that simmered all day over an open fire.’
- ‘Other featured delicacies include a New England boiled dinner and grilled rainbow trout.’
- ‘For those of you not familiar with this meal in a pot, the New England boiled dinner is a classic that has changed very little over the years.’
- ‘I have a friend whose New England boiled dinner is so good he could open a restaurant, serve only the boiled dinner and it would always be crowded.’
- ‘It is a noisy place, but you'll certainly get the flavor of Boston here, and among the traditional favorites on the menu are New England boiled dinners, schrod, beef stew, lobster and cod.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.