Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A birthmark or a mole on the skin, especially a birthmark in the form of a raised red patch.
stain, mark, patch, soiling, streak, spot, blotch, tarnishingView synonyms
- ‘A 51-year-old white female was evaluated for multiple nevi.’
- ‘Treatment required removing the nevus and resurfacing the child's body with skin grafts.’
- ‘On physical examination, no clinically atypical or suspicious nevi were observed on the skin or scalp.’
- ‘I was born in the United States in 1955 and by the age of 4 months had developed a strawberry naevus on my neck.’
- ‘However, when performing any part of the physical examination, family physicians should be alert for suspicious nevi.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.