One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a cell or its contents) readily stained only by neutral dyes.‘we investigated the in vitro control of MRSA by neutrophilic granulocytes because they contribute to abscess formation’
- ‘Third, combined eosinophilic and neutrophilic airway inflammation may enhance eosinophilic degranulation through neutrophil protease activity.’
- ‘Peripheral blood eosinophil and neutrophilic percentages were measured by standard automated cell counter.’
- ‘Absolute cell counts of macrophages, lymphocytes, and eosinophilic and neutrophilic granulocytes were calculated.’
- ‘In three patients additional infiltration of neutrophilic leukocytes was present, suggesting histologic evidence of infection.’
- ‘Histological findings include cellular infiltration with mixed round cells, neutrophilic in majority and disorganization of crypts with branching and dilatation.’
- 1.1 (of a medical condition) characterized by the presence of unusually high numbers of neutrophilic cells.‘acute lung injury is characterized by neutrophilic inflammation and increased lung permeability’
Late 19th century: from neutral + -philic (see -philia).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.