One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection. It is an undesirable side effect of some cancer treatments.
- ‘As for safety, most drugs caused the usual signs of cytotoxicity, including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, fever, infections, and gastrointestinal toxicity.’
- ‘Acute bacterial infections, notably salmonellosis, brucellosis, pertussis, tuberculosis and rickettsial infections, can cause neutropenia.’
- ‘Fever and infection, due to neutropenia, are infrequent at presentation, but may occur later in the disease.’
- ‘Prophylactic antibiotics can prevent infections and save lives in patients who develop neutropenia after chemotherapy for cancer, say researchers from Israel.’
- ‘Patients usually present with fatigue, weakness, dyspnea, and other symptoms related to anemia, and occasionally with recurrent infections due to neutropenia, or bleeding related to thrombocytopenia.’
1930s: from neutral + Greek penia ‘poverty, lack’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.