A poison that acts on the nervous system.
- ‘Botulinum toxin is a potent neurotoxin that blocks the cholinergic nerve terminals.’
- ‘Polypeptide neurotoxins act as competitive antagonists and include the venoms from snakes of the Elapidae (cobras, kraits, mambas, coral snakes, etc.) and Hydrophidae (sea snakes) families.’
- ‘Children experience developmental problems caused by unseen risks such as known carcinogens and neurotoxins like lead, mercury and pesticides.’
- ‘Tetanus infection can cause production of a neurotoxin, leading to tetanic muscle contractions.’
- ‘Once the bacteria are in the body, they produce a neurotoxin (a protein that acts as a poison to the body's nervous system) known as tetanospasmin that causes muscle spasms.’