Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of compounds that act as neurotransmitters and are short-chain polypeptides.
- ‘To date, we know of approximately 300 substances that act as neurotransmitters, including endorphins, neuropeptides, adrenaline, noradrenaline and acetylcholine.’
- ‘Most biologically active peptide hormones and neuropeptides are produced from larger inactive precursor proteins by endoproteolytic cleavage and further processing within the secretory pathway.’
- ‘TppII is 38% identical to human and rat proteins that degrade neuropeptides by attacking their amino termini and releasing three amino acid fragments.’
- ‘Recently, several studies brought to light the biophysical properties of tachykinin neuropeptides.’
- ‘Enkephalins are flexible neuropeptides and their conformation is dependent on their environment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.