One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resulting in or characterized by degeneration of the nervous system, especially the neurons in the brain.
- ‘Postmortem and imaging studies often fail to show the characteristic abnormalities of any known neurodegenerative disorders, leading to the suspicion that a novel neuropathological process may be at large.’
- ‘He was appointed consultant paediatrician at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children in 1954 and during the next 12 years published first descriptions of many metabolic and neurodegenerative diseases.’
- ‘These shape changes seem to be tied to onset of symptoms and may be neurodegenerative in nature.’
- ‘Studies in Drosophila have been used to improve our understanding of human neurodegenerative diseases.’
- ‘The alpha-synuclein protein, which is found broadly in the brain, has been implicated in several neurodegenerative disorders.’
- ‘Glucose metabolism is a measure of brain cell activity, and reduced glucose metabolism can be a very sensitive indicator of brain damage and an early indicator of neurodegenerative disease.’
- ‘The researchers hypothesize that the pronounced loss of these neurons could be caused either by a neurodegenerative process or an autoimmune response.’
- ‘The challenge will be in identifying the biochemical changes associated with mutations for each neurodegenerative disease.’
- ‘Some New Mexicans have been diagnosed with neurodegenerative afflictions which disappeared when they stopped consuming aspartame.’
- ‘One explanation is that altered mental state is indicative of some underlying neurodegenerative process not recognized at the time of admission (i.e., Alzheimer's disease or cerebrovascular disease).’
- ‘Patients with concomitant disease were included if their conditions were controlled, but patients with neurodegenerative conditions and those who had already received cholinesterase inhibitor therapy were excluded.’
- ‘Baker knows firsthand the devastating effects of MSA, a neurodegenerative terminal illness that causes slurred speech and loss of muscle coordination.’
- ‘It can be used to stimulate areas of the brain that were previously inactive due to injury or neurodegenerative processes.’
- ‘The neurodegenerative changes leading to clinical Alzheimer's disease may begin in middle age.’
- ‘Using this strategy, we have identified 15 mutations affecting at least nine loci that cause gross neurodegenerative pathology.’
- ‘Dysfunction in apoptosis can lead to cancer or neurodegenerative diseases.’
- ‘Mitochondrial dysfunction is a common feature of several neurodegenerative disorders.’
- ‘Memory loss that impairs function suggests neurodegenerative dementia, which is defined as a decline in two or more cognitive domains.’
- ‘The loss of ability may be associated with a number of inborn errors of metabolism or adult onset neurodegenerative disorders.’
- ‘Furthermore, many of the proteins encoded by genes implicated in neurodegenerative diseases interact with cytoskeletal proteins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.