One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The thin sheath around a nerve axon (including myelin where this is present).
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘These nuclei are believed to be in connection with a delicate sheath corresponding with the neurolemma of the medullated nerve fiber.’
- ‘The axis cylinder is the essential conducting structure of the nerve, while the neurolemma and the myelin act as insulating agents.’
- ‘When an axon is cut the neurilemma forms a regeneration tube.’
- ‘The oligodendrocyte does not form a neurilemma because its cell body does not wrap around any axons.’
- ‘The neurilemma of a medullated fibre contains myelin laid down by Schwann cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.