One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ill-defined medical condition characterized by lassitude, fatigue, headache, and irritability, associated chiefly with emotional disturbance.
lethargy, inertia, listlessness, lack of energy, lifelessness, inactivity, inaction, slowness, languor, languidness, torpor, torpidity, dullness, heaviness, apathy, passivity, weariness, tiredness, lassitude, fatigue, sleepiness, drowsiness, enervation, somnolence, laziness, idleness, indolence, sloth, slothfulnessView synonyms
- ‘In the 19th century, there was neurasthenia, today there's chronic fatigue syndrome.’
- ‘In case after case, from somnambulism to neurasthenia to ‘Yuppie flu,’ we see how medical and cultural trends alternately reinforce and erode particular psychosomatic symptoms.’
- ‘Fatigue was neurasthenia's chief symptom, bringing a loss of concentration and efficiency.’
- ‘Review of the catalogue of Chinese herbal drugs showed that treatment of symptoms associated with neurasthenia was indicated in 10 patent drugs of Chinese herbs.’
- ‘Whether it is a lung disease or neurasthenia, the symptoms and treatment methods are not uniform.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.