One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rash of round, red welts on the skin that itch intensely, sometimes with dangerous swelling, caused by an allergic reaction, typically to specific foods.
- ‘The homoeopathic tincture, Urtica, is frequently administered successfully for rheumatic gout, also for nettlerash and chickenpox, and externally for bruises.’
- ‘Urticaria, hives or nettlerash, which are a side effect rather than a condition, are red, very itchy, swollen areas of the skin.’
- ‘This would make loratidine the first non-prescriptive oral antihistamine in the US for the treatment of chronic hives and nettlerash.’
- ‘Itchy red weals on the skin are the major symptom, also known as urticaria or nettlerash.’
- ‘On rare occasions you may experience the following symptoms after taking Imodium: tummy cramps, feeling sick, vomiting, indigestion, tiredness, drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth and skin reactions, including nettlerash.’
Mid 18th century: so called from its resemblance to the sting of a nettle.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.