One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country that imports more than it exports.‘the US is projected to be a net importer of agricultural products for the first time since 1959’
- ‘The country that was once the breadbasket of Europe had become a net importer of food by 1998.’
- ‘After more than 100 years of exporting oil, Indonesia became a net importer of oil in 2004.’
- ‘As one of the world's largest net importers of rubber, China is now the world's largest consumer of rubber.’
- ‘One would think that countries that are net importers of oil and gas would make concerted efforts to conserve energy.’
- ‘The rural population consumes most of the food it produces, but Laos is a net importer of food, primarily from Thailand.’
- ‘Being a net importer of capital in this case means that we are consuming wealth, not producing it.’
- ‘The Asia-Pacific region will remain a strong net exporter, while all other regions will continue to be net importers of electronic components.’
- ‘The United Kingdom is a net importer of doctors, recruiting an increasing number trained in other countries.’
- ‘We're a net importer of steel and a quarter of U.S. steel consumption comes from overseas.’
- ‘Overall, the country is a net importer of food.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.