Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or state of being nervous.‘there was a trace of nervousness in his voice’
worry, concern, apprehension, apprehensiveness, consternation, uneasiness, unease, fearfulness, fear, disquiet, disquietude, perturbation, fretfulness, agitation, angst, nerves, edginess, tension, tenseness, stress, misgiving, trepidation, foreboding, suspenseView synonyms
- ‘I frequently have a nervousness, bordering on fear, concerning lack of sleep.’
- ‘All her nervousness and apprehension died away and she took another sip of her drink.’
- ‘I had been excited, but it wore away to anxiety and nervousness as the time grew near.’
- ‘The nervousness and fear were still in his eyes, and he was beginning to shake and sweat.’
- ‘I have to confess to a certain nervousness in using it, due to anxiety about what to do with all of the time that it saves.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.