Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The network of nerve cells and fibers that transmits nerve impulses between parts of the body.
- ‘According to yoga experts, the practice of baby yoga can also help improve infants' circulation, as well as their lymphatic, endocrine and nervous systems.’
- ‘They provide us with an opportunity to study cooperation and the processes of controlling the same body with two nervous systems.’
- ‘Another possible cause of colic is a combination of the baby's temperament and an immature nervous system.’
- ‘Composed of neurones and nerve fibres, the nervous system is part of the physical body.’
- ‘Exposure to DDT during development in children may affect the reproductive and nervous systems.’
- ‘Milk thistle was the only herb that boosted both the immune and nervous systems, helping nerve cells produce more neurites and keeping cells alive longer.’
- ‘Research shows that acupuncture affects most of the body's systems, not just the nervous system.’
- ‘Nerve nets are linked to the nervous system in the body, which is, of course, linked to the brain.’
- ‘This molecule is found in all tissues of the body and plays very important roles in the cardiovascular, immune and nervous systems.’
- ‘And they might be at the root of a host of problems, particularly in the nervous system.’
- ‘Japanese bio-scientists are trying to develop the biological neural networks that simulate nervous systems of living organisms.’
- ‘They may also have some effect on the nervous system, releasing the body's natural healing ability.’
- ‘The answer has to be that we each monitor ourselves, being mindful of the effects of caffeine on our own bodies and nervous systems.’
- ‘Not only does calcium help keep bones and teeth strong and healthy, it also helps keep the circulatory, muscular and nervous systems running normally.’
- ‘Thus the nervous system is responsible for rapid conduction of information throughout the body.’
- ‘Those were just brains and nervous systems to him, not human beings.’
- ‘In general, all parts of the cardiovascular and nervous systems must work together.’
- ‘The enteric nervous system has a central role in the control of most gastrointestinal functions.’
- ‘Once the parasite enters the body and reaches the nervous system it then becomes life threatening.’
- ‘Your body needs vitamin B12 in order to create red blood cells and keep the nervous system healthy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.