One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The network of nerve cells and fibers which transmits nerve impulses between parts of the body.
- ‘Milk thistle was the only herb that boosted both the immune and nervous systems, helping nerve cells produce more neurites and keeping cells alive longer.’
- ‘Research shows that acupuncture affects most of the body's systems, not just the nervous system.’
- ‘They provide us with an opportunity to study cooperation and the processes of controlling the same body with two nervous systems.’
- ‘Exposure to DDT during development in children may affect the reproductive and nervous systems.’
- ‘According to yoga experts, the practice of baby yoga can also help improve infants' circulation, as well as their lymphatic, endocrine and nervous systems.’
- ‘Once the parasite enters the body and reaches the nervous system it then becomes life threatening.’
- ‘They may also have some effect on the nervous system, releasing the body's natural healing ability.’
- ‘This molecule is found in all tissues of the body and plays very important roles in the cardiovascular, immune and nervous systems.’
- ‘Nerve nets are linked to the nervous system in the body, which is, of course, linked to the brain.’
- ‘Those were just brains and nervous systems to him, not human beings.’
- ‘The enteric nervous system has a central role in the control of most gastrointestinal functions.’
- ‘Japanese bio-scientists are trying to develop the biological neural networks that simulate nervous systems of living organisms.’
- ‘Not only does calcium help keep bones and teeth strong and healthy, it also helps keep the circulatory, muscular and nervous systems running normally.’
- ‘Composed of neurones and nerve fibres, the nervous system is part of the physical body.’
- ‘Your body needs vitamin B12 in order to create red blood cells and keep the nervous system healthy.’
- ‘Another possible cause of colic is a combination of the baby's temperament and an immature nervous system.’
- ‘Thus the nervous system is responsible for rapid conduction of information throughout the body.’
- ‘And they might be at the root of a host of problems, particularly in the nervous system.’
- ‘In general, all parts of the cardiovascular and nervous systems must work together.’
- ‘The answer has to be that we each monitor ourselves, being mindful of the effects of caffeine on our own bodies and nervous systems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.