One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in invertebrates such as coelenterates and flatworms) a diffuse network of neurons which conducts impulses in all directions from a point of stimulus.
- ‘The nerve net has been implicated in the behavioral coordination amongst polyps in the colony.’
- ‘These rhopalial ganglia presumably sort this information and then distribute it to the appropriate effectors, the swim musculature, via the distributed nerve net of the subumbrella.’
- ‘Here in this marine polyp with the primitive nerve net is clearly exhibited one of the most pervasive phenomena of the animal kingdom - decrement of response with repeated stimulation (habituation).’
- ‘The nerve nets for these areas would be good antennae.’
- ‘The cnidarian homolog of the nervous system is a nerve net that is largely ectodermal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.