Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The major cord of nerve fibers running the length of an animal's body, especially a ventral cord in invertebrates that connects segmental nerve ganglia.
- ‘This is in contrast to organisms such as annelids and arthropods, in which the main nerve cord is ventral.’
- ‘Other cell bodies in the ventral nerve cord were also observed to occasionally express GFP.’
- ‘The nerve ring and the nerve bundles that connect the nerve ring and the ventral nerve cord had dots of very faint staining.’
- ‘In insects, as in all arthropods, the main nerve cord lies ventrally, rather than dorsally as in vertebrates.’
- ‘The neural arches developed around the dorsal nerve cord, above the notochord.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.