One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes catnip and several kinds cultivated for their spikes of blue or violet flowers.
Genus Nepeta, family Labiatae
- ‘Hosta sieboldiana ‘Elegans’, the grey-blue tinge of an agave and the blue flowers of nepeta all work in harmony with the piece.’
- ‘Others are tiny and quite dainty - like the many nepetas and campanulas, or Veronica peduncularis ‘Georgia Blue’.’
- ‘So I had to assume that they would not be particularly happy beside the silvery cats-paw and nepeta.’
- ‘This works extremely well with my geraniums, coreopsis, nepeta, and Campanula carpatica.’
- ‘And so we exist peacefully in the garden, they chasing voles and nibbling the nepeta, I digging holes and nibbling the nasturtiums.’
Modern Latin, from Latin nepeta ‘calamint’ (formerly in this genus).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.