A new and abnormal growth of tissue in some part of the body, especially as a characteristic of cancer.
- ‘Malignant mesothelioma is an uncommon neoplasm yet it is the most common primary malignancy of the pleura.’
- ‘A related neoplasm, the carcinoid tumor, is another rare lesion in the esophagus.’
- ‘Lipomas, hemangiomas, neuromas, and fibromas are benign neoplasms that occur in the neck.’
- ‘Histologic sections of the tumor revealed a malignant neoplasm with a diffuse growth pattern.’
- ‘For girls, the 2 causes of death with the highest crude rates were malignant neoplasms and ischemic heart disease.’
Mid 19th century: from neo- new + Greek plasma formation (see plasma).