One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A modern religious movement which seeks to incorporate beliefs or ritual practices from traditions outside the main world religions, especially those of pre-Christian Europe and North America.
Neopaganism is a highly varied mixture of ancient and modern elements, in which nature worship (influenced by modern environmentalism) often plays a major role. Other influences include shamanism, magical and occult traditions, and radical feminist critiques of Christianity
- ‘But now that neopaganism has joined the ranks of approved campus religious groups, this is beginning to be a minority view, expressed tentatively for fear of giving offense.’
- ‘It is not difficult for me to understand the appeal of neopaganism.’
- ‘Attempting to deny that Nazi anti-Semitism had a Christian component, Christian apologists exaggerate the influence of Aryan neopaganism.’
- ‘But while few people noticed, he invented one of the 20th century's more influential religions, helped launch '60s-style sex-and-nature neopaganism, and was a major force behind the first modern libertarian zine.’
- ‘Associate Editor Jesse Walker's ‘Inside the Spiritual Jacuzzi’ is a tour of new customized religions that range from attempts to fuse Judaism with Buddhism to neopaganism to something called the Hot Tub Mystery Religion.’
- ‘As one moves further from the Wiccan mainstream, neopaganism's eclectic quality - its status as a religion of appropriation - becomes yet more obvious.’
- ‘This evolutionary neopaganism, which owes much to eastern ideas of Nirvana and the like, is on clear display in this film.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.