Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An antibiotic related to streptomycin, active against a wide variety of bacterial infections.
- ‘Her general practitioner had treated it unsuccessfully with neomycin and gramicidin ointment and oral flucloxacillin and metronidazole.’
- ‘Antibiotics and antifungals are added to the culture to limit the microbial proliferation, including neomycin and streptomycin.’
- ‘The circulating nurse removes the microscope; applies neomycin, polymyxin B sulfates, and dexamethasone ointment (Maxitrol); and tapes the eye shield in place over the surgical eye.’
- ‘The injected IPV should not be given to persons with severe allergy to neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B.’
- ‘If you are having chemotherapy, or if your immune system is low for another reason, or if you are allergic to the drugs neomycin or polymyxin, you should not have the rubella vaccination.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.