One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibiotic related to streptomycin, active against a wide variety of bacterial infections.
This antibiotic is obtained from the bacterium Streptomyces fradiae
- ‘Antibiotics and antifungals are added to the culture to limit the microbial proliferation, including neomycin and streptomycin.’
- ‘Her general practitioner had treated it unsuccessfully with neomycin and gramicidin ointment and oral flucloxacillin and metronidazole.’
- ‘If you are having chemotherapy, or if your immune system is low for another reason, or if you are allergic to the drugs neomycin or polymyxin, you should not have the rubella vaccination.’
- ‘The circulating nurse removes the microscope; applies neomycin, polymyxin B sulfates, and dexamethasone ointment (Maxitrol); and tapes the eye shield in place over the surgical eye.’
- ‘The injected IPV should not be given to persons with severe allergy to neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.