One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 60, a silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series. Neodymium is a component of misch metal and some other alloys, and its compounds are used in coloring glass and ceramics.
- ‘We see cerium, lanthanum, neodymium, and so forth, which indicate we are dealing with a rare-earth mineral, and that can mean big problems.’
- ‘They are composed of iron, boron and neodymium, one of the rarest metals on Earth and their strength range from 2000 to 3600 gauss.’
- ‘China is a major producer of neodymium, and the U.S. magnet factories sold much of their production to the electronics factories of East Asia.’
- ‘Among the most important of these alloys are those containing iron and neodymium along with boron.’
- ‘There is also a tendency to keep the business in the family, an issue in particular for China Rare Earth, a processor of rare elements like neodymium, which is used in mobile-phone batteries.’
Late 19th century: from neo- ‘new’ + a shortened form of didymium.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.