One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small phylum that comprises the horsehair worms.
- ‘The recently published Ecdysozoa hypothesis suggests a closer relationship of the Scalidophora, Nematode, Nematomorpha, Tardigrada, Onychophora, and Arthropoda.’
- ‘They concluded that Gastrotricha is the sister-taxon of a monophyletic clade comprising Nematoda, Nematomorpha, Priapulida, Kinorhyncha and Loricifera.’
- ‘These are the horsehair worms or Nematomorpha and the Gastrotricha.’
- ‘The hexagonal arrangement in both adults and larvae of the internal armature in the buccal apparatus may be plesiomorphic, a shared character with Nematoda and Nematomorpha (Nematoida, subgroup of Cycloneuralia).’
- ‘Hairworms, or Nematomorpha, are a little-known group of parasites, which contains around 300 known species worldwide.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek nēma, nēmat- ‘thread’ + morphē ‘form’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.