Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Failure to take proper care in doing something.‘some of these accidents are due to negligence’
carelessness, lack of care, lack of proper care and attention, dereliction of duty, non-performance of duty, non-fulfilment of duty, remissness, neglectfulness, neglect, laxity, laxness, irresponsibility, inattention, inattentiveness, heedlessness, thoughtlessness, unmindfulness, forgetfulnessView synonyms
- ‘There are enough tragedies in our day-to-day lives without adding some due to our own personal negligence.’
- ‘Any casualty due to their negligence must be put up for a PIL and proper compensation demanded.’
- ‘‘That is carelessness and negligence and all three of you need to look at your own systems,’ he said.’
- ‘We cannot just say it was not negligence without a proper investigation.’
- ‘People hesitate to approach consumer courts either because of negligence or due to some inherent fear about the very idea of filing a case.’
- ‘I made a few gaffs due to my negligence, so hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes.’
- ‘The death or serious injury of a Soldier due to negligence or carelessness cannot be overlooked and can always be avoided.’
- ‘If the tardiness is due to negligence and causes a loss of income, then you are entitled to recover some of the loss.’
- ‘Employers must be held responsible for negligence over worker safety and be punished accordingly.’
- ‘This means that any additional costs which are due to her negligence may be deducted from her bill.’
- ‘The blast took place due to the police negligence, sources said.’
- ‘Death due to negligence occurred in one per cent of this group.’
- ‘Yes, some errors are due to negligence by a doctor or a nurse.’
- ‘Furthermore, the firm would have been liable if the embryos had been destroyed due to their negligence, he said.’
- ‘She had learned the hard way a long time ago that forgetfulness was considered negligence.’
- ‘Workers in these companies have complained of negligence by new owners and the failure to invest in safety.’
- ‘It is simply due to the greed of some, and negligence by others.’
- ‘The bus fell into the river due to negligence of the driver.’
- ‘Why should I suffer because of somebody's negligence, carelessness, stupidity or even a deliberate act on his or her part?’
- ‘Yes, this is due to my own negligence, but a helpful reminder from a travel agent would make all the difference.’
- 1.1Law Failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.
- ‘They could be facing charges of criminal negligence causing death and injury.’
- ‘Their claim is based in contract and tort and includes allegations of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.’
- ‘Initially, the Plaintiffs framed their action against UPI alleging breach of contract and negligence.’
- ‘The claim was for breach of statutory duty and negligence.’
- ‘I was open to persuasion that the actual facts before the court did not disclose a case of negligence that had any reasonable prospect of success.’
- ‘The primary focus of those claims is in breach of duty and negligence, but I cannot agree that the defendant had a duty of care towards the claimant.’
- ‘In this regard, liability results from negligence and breach of contract.’
- ‘I find that there was no breach of a duty of care and no negligence on the part of the defendants and the action is dismissed.’
- ‘The action arises out of a claim by the Plaintiffs against their former solicitors for negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.’
- ‘The pleading against the solicitor is in the alternative, in negligence for breach of duty of care and in equity for breach of fiduciary duty.’
Middle English: via Old French from Latin negligentia, from the verb negligere (variant of neglegere ‘disregard, slight’: see neglect).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.