One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The diminution or counteraction of an effect by its own influence on the process giving rise to it, as when a high level of a particular hormone in the blood may inhibit further secretion of that hormone, or where the result of a certain action may inhibit further performance of that action.
- ‘Control of cortisol release is through negative feedback of the hormone at all levels of the HPI axis.’
- ‘Exogenous steroids exert negative feedback on central glucocorticoid receptors, suppressing the secretion of corticotrophic hormone and adrenocorticotrophic hormone and reducing cortisol secretion from the adrenal.’
- ‘Furthermore, elevated serum fibrin and fibrinogen degradation products inhibit the conversion of fibrinogen to fibrin by negative feedback; and therefore interfere with fibrin polymerization.’
- ‘Bursting has also been recorded in vivo, where it can be directly observed to exert negative feedback on plasma glucose levels.’
- ‘Control of CRH and ACTH release is maintained through negative feedback by cortisol at the hypothalamic and pituitary levels.’
- 1.1Electronics The return of part of an output signal to the input, which is out of phase with it, so that amplifier gain is reduced and the output is improved.
- ‘We are able to provide an intuitive understanding of this result, because when the activators are fixed, both models reduce to a single delay differential equation with negative feedback.’
- ‘The earliest guitar amps from the Tweed era did not have negative feedback, a simplicity that yielded higher distortion and allowed the speaker to emote more character.’
- ‘This result indicates that negative feedback reduces system noise and enables a robust transition in cell state within a narrow Shh signal concentration range near the deterministically predicted switching point.’
- ‘It is therefore intriguing that the Shh network has evolved and exploited positive feedback to create a switch and negative feedback to dampen noise and thereby maintain the robust properties of the switch.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.