One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who annoys or antagonizes another.‘a miserable little needler who can't stand anybody else's happiness’
- ‘People think I'm a great needler, but Jack can do a little needling himself.’
- ‘Fingers was a great needler, and he stayed on the driver the whole time.’
2(in science fiction) a weapon that fires thin, pointed projectiles.
- ‘Dual needlers produce a cool effect but it's still no match for a well-thrown plasma grenade.’
- ‘The needlers have returned as well, and while they were significantly weaker in the first Halo, they've become much more effective and damaging in Halo 2.’
- ‘The featureless figure pointed with the needler at the two crewmembers still alive and gestured towards hatch leading to the rest of the ship.’
- ‘He heard a woman's defiant shout, followed by the sound of a needler firing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.