One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The author of an obituary notice.
- ‘And thanks to the exigencies of the English syllabus I was soon introduced to better verse on this subject than the doggerel of the anonymous necrologist of St Mary's.’
- ‘As class necrologist, you bring deceased classmates’ stories to life by talking with the people who knew them best - family, friends and former College roommates.’
- ‘Comparison of modern and ancient cemeteries clarifies how the people of the ancient world perceived life and death, a subject of interest not only to necrologists.’
- ‘But for the moment, I am pleased to have been given this chance to contrive my own fable and plead my own case before the necrologists get at me.’
- ‘But this entry, whatever your position on its concluding sentence, summarizes an argument that necrologists of the 19c have advanced - among them Philippe Aries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.