One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lynching or hanging.
capital punishment, the death penalty, being put to death, killingView synonyms
- ‘And while most of the punishments went off ‘without a hitch,’ a handful of necktie parties and firing squads stand out in the annals of history.’’
- ‘And when caught, the hoss thief had a date with a Colt.45 or an invite to a necktie party.’
- ‘Narrowly escaping a frontier ‘necktie party,’ outlaw Buster Crabbe teams up with sidekicks Raymond Hatton and Johnny Downs for exciting, and at times comical, Western adventures. 59 min.’
- ‘I see some long legal proceedings against a bunch of ex-Bush administration officials beginning in January of 2009 and maybe involving some necktie parties in the end.’
- ‘By then, I'll assume we would have already had necktie parties for all such scapegoats.’
- ‘The Americans, in their typical boisterousness, immediately started organizing lynch mobs, hosting necktie parties where a man would be hung by the neck till death for the criminal act of being born black.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.