Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The theory that the solar and stellar systems were developed from a primeval nebula.
- ‘Evolutionists believe that the solar system condensed out of a cloud of gas and dust called a nebula, hence the nebular hypothesis.’
- ‘Pierre Laplace, an open atheist, published his nebular hypothesis in 1796.’
- ‘The German philosopher Immanuel Kant was the first to propose a scientific model - known as the nebular theory - for the origins of the planetary system.’
- ‘First we had the Copernican revolution, then Kant put forward the nebular theory of the evolution of solar systems.’
- ‘Finally, he set forth and briefly responded to the nebular hypothesis for the origin of the earth.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.