One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A person who goes naked in designated areas; a nudist.
nudist, sun worshipperView synonyms
- ‘The couple believe they are the first to host nude dinners in Scotland, though there are naturist guesthouses in the Borders and Glasgow.’
- ‘Ireland, the only country in Europe which still bans nude bathing, is facing a mass campaign by naturists for a change in the law.’
- ‘Naturists make an awful lot of fuss about the fact that we were all born naked to justify their peculiar inclination to carry on being naked.’
- ‘Maybe they were naturists and believed it their right to expose themselves in public.’
- ‘I have attended swimming sessions of two naturist clubs, albeit using facilities at Haddington, some distance from the city.’
- ‘British naturists are doing a charity swim in Loch Ness in Scotland to raise funds for cancer research.’
- ‘The only way to reach the site is over a scenic rocky outcrop that just happens to be a favourite spot for German naturists.’
- ‘I also think the human body is beautiful and love just letting it all hanging out, I could live in a naturist colony for sure.’
- ‘The practice, known as "boots-only hiking", is becoming increasingly popular in the south and the Lake District but naturists have never been seen wandering the Dales before.’
- ‘There appear to be very few rules at the naturist club.’
- ‘From Devon to the Isle of Arran, the naturists have their pick.’
- ‘Playa des Cavallett (south of the airport in Ibiza) and Playa de las Salinas are both popular gay haunts and Playa des Cavallett is also an official naturist beach.’
- ‘German naturists are often office workers who enjoy healthy sunshine.’
- ‘Scottish naturists, like their fellow hobbyists in England, are often forced to go abroad in search of suitable locations.’
- ‘Meanwhile, I have also attended naturist sessions in Glasgow, within the city limits.’
- ‘The only neighbor is a naturist camping place that is situated in the next bay.’
- ‘Then, the next year, we came across a naturist beach on holiday in England by looking for a beach where we could take our dog.’
- ‘But at weekends he travels to Leeds - to swim in the nude with a naturist club.’
- ‘On a more mundane level, increasing numbers of naturists are enjoying a naked swim during closed sessions in baths all over Scotland.’
- ‘The material was legitimately available in Germany and in his view contained pictures of general naturist interest.’
2A person who worships nature or natural objects.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.