Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who goes naked in designated areas; a nudist.
nudist, sun worshippernudieView synonyms
- ‘The material was legitimately available in Germany and in his view contained pictures of general naturist interest.’
- ‘The only way to reach the site is over a scenic rocky outcrop that just happens to be a favourite spot for German naturists.’
- ‘The only neighbor is a naturist camping place that is situated in the next bay.’
- ‘On a more mundane level, increasing numbers of naturists are enjoying a naked swim during closed sessions in baths all over Scotland.’
- ‘There appear to be very few rules at the naturist club.’
- ‘British naturists are doing a charity swim in Loch Ness in Scotland to raise funds for cancer research.’
- ‘Maybe they were naturists and believed it their right to expose themselves in public.’
- ‘I also think the human body is beautiful and love just letting it all hanging out, I could live in a naturist colony for sure.’
- ‘Playa des Cavallett (south of the airport in Ibiza) and Playa de las Salinas are both popular gay haunts and Playa des Cavallett is also an official naturist beach.’
- ‘Scottish naturists, like their fellow hobbyists in England, are often forced to go abroad in search of suitable locations.’
- ‘I have attended swimming sessions of two naturist clubs, albeit using facilities at Haddington, some distance from the city.’
- ‘Meanwhile, I have also attended naturist sessions in Glasgow, within the city limits.’
- ‘But at weekends he travels to Leeds - to swim in the nude with a naturist club.’
- ‘Naturists make an awful lot of fuss about the fact that we were all born naked to justify their peculiar inclination to carry on being naked.’
- ‘German naturists are often office workers who enjoy healthy sunshine.’
- ‘Then, the next year, we came across a naturist beach on holiday in England by looking for a beach where we could take our dog.’
- ‘From Devon to the Isle of Arran, the naturists have their pick.’
- ‘The couple believe they are the first to host nude dinners in Scotland, though there are naturist guesthouses in the Borders and Glasgow.’
- ‘Ireland, the only country in Europe which still bans nude bathing, is facing a mass campaign by naturists for a change in the law.’
- ‘The practice, known as "boots-only hiking", is becoming increasingly popular in the south and the Lake District but naturists have never been seen wandering the Dales before.’
2A person who worships nature or natural objects.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.