One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Natural science, especially physical science.
- ‘Within natural philosophy he gave new direction to optics, mechanics, and celestial dynamics.’
- ‘Bacon's interest in mathematics and natural philosophy, probably aroused by Peregrinus, took over his life in Oxford after he returned there in 1247.’
- ‘Robert Hamilton succeeded John Mair at the Perth Academy in 1769, later moving to university posts in natural philosophy and mathematics.’
- ‘Another topic to which Aristotle made major contributions was natural philosophy or rather physics by today's terminology.’
- ‘But they repudiated mechanistic natural philosophy in favour of the view that spirit is the fundamental causal principle in the operations of nature.’
- ‘They weren't physicists and chemists in those days, they were natural philosophers, and natural philosophy included mathematics.’
- ‘This relationship would prompt Descartes to make public his thoughts on natural philosophy (science).’
- ‘When Muir entered the Wisconsin State University in 1861 he chose to follow the science curriculum, taking courses on natural philosophy and chemistry.’
- ‘The secularization of concepts of space was necessary to the new natural philosophy or science.’
- ‘Academically, Cambridge was characterized by the growth of science, or natural philosophy as it was called, with Newton at Trinity its best-known exponent.’
- ‘Before the book was published Sneddon had returned to Glasgow as a lecturer in physics, or rather natural philosophy as the subject was called in the ancient Scottish Universities at that time.’
- ‘Many mathematicians were interested in natural philosophy, and geology in particular.’
- ‘At his father's wish, in 1581 he enrolled at the University of Pisa to study medicine, but his first love was mathematics and natural philosophy.’
- ‘But she also transgressed social norms by dedicating herself to Newtonian natural philosophy.’
- ‘Partly it is because many Renaissance humanists for their part were indifferent to or even opposed the scholastic natural philosophy and medicine of their time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.