One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The frequency at which a system oscillates when not subjected to a continuous or repeated external force.
- ‘Adding skeletal elements stiffens the axis, a change which will increase the natural frequency of bending, permit higher tailbeat frequencies, and hence generate more locomotor power.’
- ‘Tuned vibration damping will reduce the amplification at the natural frequency and prevent the system from oscillating in response to transient vibrations.’
- ‘The swing is behaving like a tuned resonator which responds strongly to a driving force at its own natural frequency but is less responsive at other frequencies.’
- ‘Like a mass hanging from a spring, a suspension bridge oscillates at a natural frequency.’
- ‘My guards are equipped with plasma rifle disruptors which operate at a frequency slightly offset from the natural frequency of hydrogen.’
- ‘What we do is measure the natural frequency of the cantilever, which is a function of its mass.’
- ‘The human eye is not trained to see that, but they actually have a frequency that resonates with your body's own natural frequency.’
- ‘The solution was to adjust the rotor speed above or below its natural frequency, and we had no more problems.’
- ‘The walking motion is the result of two pendulums (the legs) swinging in their natural frequency.’
- ‘The tuning fork whose natural frequency corresponds to the frequency of a particular sound of the voice will respond, that is, it will vibrate in sympathy.’
- ‘It is entirely possible that the loud bass music is in tune with this person's natural frequency, thus causing his or her insides to vibrate uncomfortably.’
- ‘What we call the ‘natural frequency’ in here is actually the lowest natural frequency of the string.’
- ‘As the sphere came to within a few hundred nanometers of the surface, the team detected a change in the natural frequency of the paddle.’
- ‘These vibrations are at the natural frequency of the glass which is a complex function of its mass and shape.’
- ‘The natural frequencies of the wire are determined by the integer harmonics of the fundamental.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.