Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A national organization founded in 1871 that promotes the legal use of guns and gun safety in the US and defends a US citizen's constitutional right to own and bear arms.
- ‘He is a strict, near-religious vegan, whose goal is to create ‘a National Rifle Association of the animal rights movement.'‘’
- ‘He was endorsed by the National Rifle Association.’
- ‘The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Federation of Independent Business, the National Rifle Association and National Right to Life also helped.’
- ‘He was president of the National Rifle Association of America, 1883-1884.’
- ‘And some observers note that the name conjures images of a National Rifle Association splinter group.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.