Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of the two major leagues in American professional baseball.
- ‘Interestingly, the other four teams were the Cleveland Indians in the American League and the Philadelphia Phillies, New York Mets, and Cardinals in the National League.’
- ‘He struck out 18 men to tie a National League record (since surpassed) in that disappointing 10-inning defeat.’
- ‘His 17 wins are the most by a National League teenager, with Bunker holding the major league mark with 19.’
- ‘‘We steal his pitches,’ says a scout for a National League team.’
- ‘His 382 strikeouts in 1965 are still a National League record.’
- ‘The American League and National League Most Valuable Player Awards were announced on Monday and Tuesday.’
- ‘James covers the National League East and West, then the American League East and West.’
- ‘The Bucs lost the 1972 National League Championship Series to the Reds in five games.’
- ‘When some National League scouts saw him for the first time in interleague play, they were like, ‘Who's this guy?’’
- ‘He won the National League's Most Valuable Player award in 1967, and was honored as the Designated Hitter of the Year in 1973.’
- ‘Players have been put on a financial bonus to keep the club in the LHF National League One.’
- ‘Open up the negotiations to more than one team (perhaps an American and a National League club could each have the right to negotiate with first round draft picks).’
- ‘During his record home run season in 1998, he set a National League mark of 162 walks, 28 of which were intentional.’
- ‘The National League record is 382, set by Sandy Koufax in 1965.’
- ‘Two years earlier, at age 40, he stole 23 bases while leading the Giants to a National League West championship.’
- ‘They never saw him as a catcher, where he was a National League All-Star in 1991 before earning an All-Star bid as a second baseman in 1992.’
- ‘He was National League All-Star selection in 1941, 1942, 1945 and 1946.’
- ‘Standing Room Only - St. Louis Cardinals and New York Mets to meet for the National League Championship Series’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.