One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large expanse of forest that is owned, maintained, and preserved by the federal government.
- ‘For example, a policy that opens national forests to destructive logging of old-growth trees is labeled Healthy Forest Initiative.’
- ‘Never mind that one half of our national forest system has already been developed by commercial interests.’
- ‘She was charged with setting fire to timber in the national forest, damaging federal property and making false statements to investigators.’
- ‘The first decision to be made was whether to create a national park, favored by preservationists, or a national forest, favored by conservationists.’
- ‘And these new policies will guide national forest management for a long time beyond this administration.’
- ‘Based on our policy agenda for ecosystem restoration and maintenance, we agreed that national forest roadless areas needed greater protection.’
- ‘In winter the buffalo often migrate down out of the deep snows of Yellowstone onto national forest lands in search of forage.’
- ‘Our forests, especially our national forests, are to be jealously guarded by their absentee landlords: the nation's taxpayers and future taxpayers.’
- ‘Forty million acres is exactly half the total acreage of our entire national park system, and about one-fifth of our national forest system.’
- ‘Many laws and policies guide national forest management.’
- ‘By any name, the changes hold promise - for the forests and for the communities surrounded by national forests.’
- ‘And national forest decision-makers, who were being trained in the same tradition as private foresters, worked under the same assumptions.’
- ‘Controlled burning and tree thinning may help, rather than hinder, the protection of the national forests by preventing the buildup of fuel in the forest cover.’
- ‘In response, the conservationist movement lobbied to organize a system of national forests, parks, and monuments that could be preserved for all.’
- ‘Public holdings, including three national forests and the nation's largest forest system, account for 6.5 million acres.’
- ‘Many timber industry officials believe the appeals process has been corrupted by a vocal minority of environmental extremists who oppose any national forest management.’
- ‘This moratorium expires at the end of September, and conservationists are hoping that its replacement will prohibit all destructive activities in all national forest roadless areas.’
- ‘The West has most of the land still owned by the federal government, including a host of national forests, parks, monuments, and grasslands.’
- ‘Prompting the lawsuit was a leaked agency draft of new regulations being considered for national forest planning.’
- ‘Our national forests have been overlogged, but many private forest holdings have been almost liquidated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.