One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A convention of a major political party, especially one that nominates a candidate for the presidency.
- ‘The Constitution Party held its national convention last week in Valley Forge.’
- ‘It will, however, mark the end of a 52-year hiatus for Philadelphia as host of a major party national convention.’
- ‘Radical leaders were arrested on charges of high treason after they held a national convention.’
- ‘Unlike a national convention, the city convention is less a coronation and more an opportunity for candidates to make themselves heard.’
- ‘Held in San Francisco, this was the first time a major party's national convention took place west of the Rocky Mountains.’
- ‘And now the choice of New York City for the Republican national convention site is being questioned within the party itself.’
- ‘And this new party would be formed at a major national convention, where the masses would have a direct input.’
- ‘You remember the complaints during the Democratic and Republican national conventions in Boston and New York last year?’
- ‘Today, gays participate in the national conventions of both major parties.’
- ‘At the Democratic national convention last week, big business put on its biggest party at a political event.’
- ‘When the Democratic Party held its national convention in July, his renomination was assured, but there were still decisions to be made.’
- ‘After the national conventions, the two parties presidential hopefuls can concentrate on campaigning for the ultimate prize in American politics.’
- ‘The government also provides $2 million for the national conventions of both major parties.’
- ‘Winning here is very important as the state sends 20% of all the delegates to both party's national conventions.’
- ‘Ready or not, heeeeere they come - the Republican and Democratic national conventions!’
- ‘And then, a grand finale for the Republican Party and its national convention.’
- ‘I write these words before the president has spoken to his national convention, where his aides promise he will lay out his new ambitions.’
- ‘The minister said that the government is preparing a national convention in the country to support the reconciliation process in the country.’
- ‘Earlier this month 450 people were arrested for protesting outside the Republican Party's national convention.’
- ‘At least 500,000 people marched in New York City on the eve of the Republican national convention.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.