The state or quality of being nasty.‘the nastiness of the campaign’
unpleasantness, disagreeableness, offensiveness, vileness, foulness, unsavouriness, ugliness, squalor, filthiness, filth, pollutionunkindness, unpleasantness, unfriendliness, disagreeableness, hostility, rudeness, churlishness, spite, spitefulness, malice, maliciousness, meanness, mean-spiritedness, ill temper, ill nature, bad temper, bad-temperedness, viciousness, ill humour, malevolence, venom, venomousness, malignancy, cantankerousness, cruelty, abusivenessobscenity, indecency, offensiveness, impropriety, indelicacy, crudity, vulgarity, grossness, pornography, smuttiness, smut, salaciousness, lewdness, licentiousnessView synonyms
- ‘In more recent times, his nastiness has become more unpredictable.’
- ‘But in the last series, it was enveloped in a miasma of nastiness.’
- ‘Sheer pig-headed ignorance, nastiness, mean-spiritedness and rudeness in my opinion.’
- ‘It is glib and empty rationalising, which taken literally would imply that nastiness is a prerequisite for success.’
- ‘The outrage it provoked was based on the seeming crudeness of the content and the sexist nastiness of the boy protagonists.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.