One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A railroad gauge that is narrower than the standard gauge of 56.5 inches (143.5 cm).
- ‘Exbury staff are also planning to celebrate the success of the narrow gauge steam railway that takes visitors on a tour of the gardens.’
- ‘Heavy rain a few days before our visit had effected some of the blossom, but we had a pleasant day with some of us venturing on the narrow gauge railway.’
- ‘Also from Collooney, there ran a narrow gauge railway to Enniskillen.’
- ‘Their subject is the narrow gauge railway that for 70 years connected the coal mines at Cliff Top with the coke ovens at Sewell.’
- ‘The town was also once known as the Alcatraz of Argentina, when prisoners were sent here, and an incongruous tourist train now runs along the narrow gauge former convict railway.’
- ‘In 1901 work began on a private narrow gauge railway line, from Iron Knob and Iron Monarch to Hummock Hill, and a jetty to allow easy transportation of the iron ore.’
- ‘These would be carried on the narrow gauge railways down to Port Penrhyn, Bangor and loaded onto the ship by hand.’
- ‘The equipment of the narrow gauge railway once thought to be quite adequate for the traffic to be handled soon proved to be very inadequate.’
- ‘Why standard gauge is not a narrow gauge is another question but there you go.’
- ‘So massive was the work that a narrow gauge construction railway was built by the contractor.’
- ‘These narrow gauge steam railways have the charm of old-time steam engines, some dating back over 100 years!’
- ‘Most of the action seemed to consist of switching standard gauge box cars to and from the industrial sidings served by the narrow gauge.’
- ‘The narrow gauge railway reached Jamestown in 1878 when it was connected with Port Pirie, the first train arriving on 25 June.’
- ‘The railway, or a narrow gauge line alongside, could shuttle visitors between a large and well-hidden car park and the centre of Morecambe.’
- ‘The estate even has its own railway station where kids, young and old, can enjoy a ride on the narrow gauge railway as it climbs along the side of the river.’
- ‘Outstanding attractions with unique charm include Mount Snowdon, the highest point in England and Wales, where you can ride on the narrow gauge railway up the summit.’
- ‘When in 1882 the narrow gauge railway from Terowie was extended to Quorn, Hammond had gained a daily train service to Adelaide.’
- ‘Follow this to reach the course of a former narrow gauge railway and turn right.’
- ‘Adults and Children board the train at Kilmeadan Station to set out on the exciting journey on the narrow gauge railway.’
- ‘The entrance to the narrow gauge railway line is located off Main Street, Stradbally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.