One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounZoology Anatomy
- ‘The location (distance from the nares / incisors), length and resting pressure should be recorded.’
- ‘However, the use of nares (like nostrils, located on the top of the head) to detect pheromones is probably the most important type of chemoreception in fishes.’
- ‘The major risk factor is the presence of endotracheal and/or gastric tubes within the nares.’
- ‘They show a number of typical adaptations for aquatic life, such as dorsal orbits and nares and somewhat shortened limbs.’
- ‘The lips, nares, anus, and fin membranes, by comparison, are white (with few melanophores along the edges of the fin rays).’
Late 17th century: plural of Latin naris ‘nostril, nose’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.