One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition characterized by an extreme tendency to fall asleep whenever in relaxing surroundings.
- ‘It was developed to treat narcolepsy, a rare condition that makes people fall asleep unexpectedly and uncontrollably.’
- ‘The drug is used for narcolepsy, a condition in which people fall asleep unexpectedly during the day.’
- ‘Sleepiness and cataplexy are the symptoms of narcolepsy that most often merit treatment with drugs.’
- ‘While insomnia comes in many forms, there are people with narcolepsy who fall asleep while at work, talking or driving.’
- ‘The drug was first approved in 1998 to treat narcolepsy, an uncommon condition in which sufferers fall asleep uncontrollably during the day.’
Late 19th century: from Greek narkē ‘numbness’, on the pattern of epilepsy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.