One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ring used to hold (and distinguish) a person's table napkin when not in use.
- ‘A good Panama hat, it is claimed, can be folded up and passed through a napkin ring, and it will then reshape itself perfectly for use.’
- ‘A pair of silver napkin rings will cost about the same price.’
- ‘Her specialty is pottery and the shelves are lined with mugs, teapots, bowls, candle holders, honey pots and napkin rings.’
- ‘They can be made with just a 2-inch strip of fabric; the length will depend on how many napkin rings you want to make.’
- ‘Students may choose to create a variety of objects: headbands, belts, bracelets or napkin rings.’
- ‘You can accessorize with seasonal place mats, napkins, and napkin rings.’
- ‘Make a set of placemats, napkins, and napkin rings to coordinate with the kitchen.’
- ‘Wrap vibrant maple or sumac leaves around votive candleholders or napkin rings.’
- ‘Wrap a small piece of florist's wire to each end of flexible stems of rosemary, then tie to make fragrant napkin rings.’
- ‘Hand sew leaf buttons for extra embellishment, saving eight buttons for the napkin rings.’
- ‘Add small orange or apple slices to a wooden ring for a unique napkin ring.’
- ‘Walking into the plush interior certainly fosters expectation, and small touches such as a sprig of rosemary held in the napkin ring are really quite delightful.’
- ‘Her waist is so thin she could use a napkin ring as a belt.’
- ‘This set of napkin rings is made of sustainably harvested wood hand-carved in Kenya.’
- ‘My mother gave them to me, along with the napkin rings.’
- ‘Tie ornaments to napkin rings or ribbons to serve as a warm greeting to the feast.’
- ‘Add an acorn, or pinecone and you have a very impressive napkin ring.’
- ‘For the cook in the family, go with gadgets that she loves and needs, things like ergonomically correct vegetable peelers and beautiful napkin rings are great.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.