One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fossil of a minute planktonic organism, especially a calcareous unicellular alga.
- ‘This paper presents high-resolution data from calcareous nannofossils, planktic Foraminifera, palynomorphs and stable isotopes for the Late Albian OAE Id.’
- ‘These deposits were correlated with the calcareous nannofossil zones NP 24 and NP 25.’
- ‘In the seas, the calcareous nannofossils were still in evidence but in shallow waters the benthonic nummulite and other larger foraminifera became very abundant.’
- ‘The same samples as used for geochemistry were investigated for their content of calcareous nannofossils.’
- ‘An increase in the relative abundance of boreal nannofossils in Romania during the late Valanginian also supports low temperatures within Tethys during this time.’
- ‘As revealed by light microscope and SEM studies, nannofossils are moderately to well preserved with slight indications of overgrowths in the marlstones.’
1960s: from nannoplankton (variant of nanoplankton) + fossil.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.