One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of one of the Khoikhoi peoples of South Africa and southwestern Namibia.
- ‘In a series of genocidal wars from 1904 to 1907, the German military killed three-quarters of the Herero population and nearly one-half the Namas.’
- ‘Of course, the use of sand as a source of colour reverberates with the desert habitat of the Nama.’
- ‘The new name immediately softens colonial connotations of Luderitz such as the concentration camp for Namas and Herero refugees of the 1904-1908 genocide.’
- ‘Who would entertain the idea of the San, Damaras, Namas, Tswanas and Hereros returning to their former land/settlements?’
- ‘I am sure that this project will not only bolster the economy of the Karas Region but will also bring to life the fading culture of the Namas.’
2The Khoisan language of the Nama.
- ‘I could have written this in Damara / Nama, but the intention is for the rest of Namibians to also try and understand that the language is unique in its nature.’
- ‘Three men suddenly attacked him from behind, he just heard someone shouting ‘grab him’ in Damara / Nama.’
- ‘I am sure he is aware that all the towns he mentioned have Damara / Nama names as well as in other languages.’
Relating to the Nama or their language.
- ‘The heroes and heroines of Nama tales are sometimes men, sometimes married women who flee with their babies on their backs from ogre husbands, but they are more often young girls, and frequently children.’
- ‘The Nama language is highlighted as relevant and useful in a contemporary world, and brought into the mainstream of cultural discourse.’
- ‘No, no one came to help the Herero people except the Nama people, who were fighting their own battles anyway.’
- ‘The resort will consist of eight two-bedroom bungalows, nine double-room bungalows, 10 Nama huts, 11 braai spots and a sauna.’
- ‘So if a woman happens to marry a Damara or Nama man, she replaces the ‘b’ at the end of his surname to a ‘s’.’
The name in Nama.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.