Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Thai term for fish sauce.
- ‘Stir in the coconut milk, lime zest or leaves, nam pla, peppercorns and half the herbs.’
- ‘Pour in enough miso or stock to cover, shake in a good measure of tamari or soy sauce, a drop or two of nam pla and sherry, stir and cover.’
- ‘Add the sesame oil, nam pla, 1 beaten egg white (reserve yolk), sugar, and corn starch and blend.’
- ‘In Vietnam, it is called nuoc nam, in Thailand, nam pla, and in the Philippines, patis.’
- ‘Sugar, Lime juice, freshly minced chillies and nam pla (a fermented fish sauce widely used in South East Asia) are the basic ingredients of the Nam prik.’
nam pla/ˌnäm ˈplä/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.