One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound which inhibits the multiplication of bacteria, used chiefly to treat urinary infections.
A heterocyclic compound; chemical formula: C₁₂H₁₂N₂O₃
- ‘There was no association between nalidixic acid and chloramphenicol susceptibility.’
- ‘The original quinolone antibiotics included nalidixic acid, cinoxacin and oxolinic acid (no longer available in the United States).’
- ‘The organism isolated was resistant to ampicillin, cotrimoxazole, nalidixic acid and norfloxacin.’
- ‘In India, almost 100% of the healthy population carry bacteria that are resistant to ampicillin, trimethoprim, nalidixic acid, and chloramphenicol.’
- ‘There has also been a change in the antimicrobial susceptibility pattern; resistance to ampicillin and nalidixic acid has changed in recent times.’
1960s: nalidixic by rearrangement of elements from naphthalene, carboxylic, and di- (forming the systematic name).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.