Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unassisted vision, without a telescope, microscope, or other device.‘threadworm eggs are so small that they cannot be seen with the naked eye’
- ‘Up until the last few hundred years until the discovery of the telescope there were only 6,000 stars seen by the naked eye.’
- ‘As of now, with the naked eye, security is the exactly the same as we usually see it in that airport.’
- ‘They can be anywhere from too small to be seen with the naked eye to as big as the chips thrown out by a chainsaw.’
- ‘Viewing the planet with naked eyes can burn the retina.’
- ‘Telescopes, binoculars, cameras and naked eyes all strained seawards to catch a glimpse of these huge creatures that had invaded the Cornish coast.’
- ‘There is a great deal going on in the world that cannot be seen with the naked eye.’
- ‘It may be visible from the ground with a telescope and, in some cases, with the naked eye.’
- ‘Certain fragments of the scrolls were so degraded that the ink was impossible to see with the naked eye.’
- ‘The faint tint of orange, no longer blinding white, is visible with the naked eye.’
- ‘Also, experts warned not to watch the eclipse with naked eyes.’
- ‘It will be just a small ball of cells, and you can hardly see with the naked eye.’
- ‘The caveat is that the apparent complexity of a maze should not be judged by a naked eye, but rather with the mind's eye.’
- ‘For almost all of human existence, we've been limited to staring at the night sky with naked eyes.’
- ‘He observed the stars with the naked eye because the telescope had not yet been invented.’
- ‘Too small to see with the naked eye, dust mites resemble their distant relatives, spiders and ticks.’
- ‘We can only do sample testing, in most cases with the naked eyes only.’
- ‘There were seven major heavenly bodies visible to their naked eyes (Sun, Moon and five planets), so an astrological week grew up with each day guided by a planet.’
- ‘But the idea of looking up and seeing Mars in the heavens with the naked eye is just incredible with its dominance.’
- ‘The deliverances of the microscope about the table are not in conflict with the deliverances of the naked eye.’
- ‘Beams of radio waves can induce auroralike light, but emissions have been too faint to detect with the naked eye.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.