One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The rounded head of a nail.
- ‘If you can't pry out the nails without further damaging the wall, use the snips to cut the bead from around the nailheads.’
- ‘Philadelphia cabinetmakers soon eliminated the nailhead problem by sliding the bottom boards into grooves cut into the drawer sides.’
- ‘There are still a few rough edges and nailheads sticking out here and there, but I'm quite pleased with how the site came out.’
- ‘He scraped his toe on an old nail head sticking out of the boards.’
- ‘This is a matter of personal preference, although adhesive has the advantage of eliminating visible nailheads and reducing nail pops.’
- ‘The most common nail head is flat, giving you a bigger target for the hammer, or countersunk, also called a sinker, which is flat on top and slightly tapered on the bottom.’
- ‘Too often chips fly from steel chisels, or nailheads break off.’
- ‘Sand clear down to the nail head, then sand the nail head itself to remove the built-up rust.’
- ‘Slip the flange of the roof cap under the shingles above it, nail it to the roof, and seal the nailheads with roofing cement.’
- ‘Search out any protruding nail heads and countersink them with a nailset.’
- 1.1 An ornament like the head of a nail, used chiefly in architecture and on clothing.
- ‘Press the nail heads, pearl studs and other embellishments of your choice into the uncured Gold and Copper clays surrounding the image transfers.’
- ‘Their interpretation of the traditional oval-armchair appears fresh in a creamy finish with raffia upholstery and nailhead trim.’
- ‘In the 17th century, nail heads were considered as decorative and were arranged in ornamental patterns.’
- ‘The addition of bakeable embellishments such as pearls, charms and nail heads completes the effect.’
- ‘The furniture incorporates natural branches and logs, along with brass nailheads; fabrics feature moose and fish prints mixed with solid leathers.’
- ‘Some of the great sparkling looks came in tiny swimsuits or two-piece bikinis studded with silver nail heads including crocheted white suits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.