One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Varnish applied to the fingernails or toenails to color them or make them shiny.
- ‘Her pale skin was highlighted with pale makeup and light pink nail polish.’
- ‘He added that no matter what one's skin tone was white gold easily complemented any shade of lipstick or nail polish.’
- ‘I said sitting on her bed as she finished up putting the bright pink nail polish on her fingers.’
- ‘Truthfully, Mona only owned a tube of black mascara, a black eye pencil and black nail polish.’
- ‘For women dark eyeliner and black nail polish can enhance this look.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, as she owned every color known to mankind, she had nail polish to match.’
- ‘Next came the first coloured nail polish - in a rose shade - with deeper hues to follow by 1930.’
- ‘No wonder the teeny cosmetics market is cashing in, targeting their lip-gloss and nail polish at increasingly younger kids.’
- ‘I lined my eyes in thick black kohl, wore black nail polish and baggy clothes.’
- ‘She pictured herself with pink lipstick and violet nail polish and a little blush.’
- ‘It is also advisable to let the nails ‘breathe’ without any nail polish for a week.’
- ‘Color palates will be updated to display a wider array of colors for items like lipstick and nail polish.’
- ‘When they threw off their veils, we saw the kohl, lipstick, rouge and nail polish that the women wore.’
- ‘Next comes my large collection of nail polish, but I put those in more carefully so they don't break.’
- ‘I love how obsessed you are with truly girly pursuits like nail polish and self-portraits.’
- ‘I had really cute nail polish on my toes, but that was about it.’
- ‘He was always dressed in black, dog collar, eyeliner and black nail polish, and never a smile on his face.’
- ‘Hairbrushes, hair clips, nail polish, and lip gloss are all fun and inexpensive ideas.’
- ‘Slowly she reached over and plucked the bottle of nail polish from the desk.’
- ‘I was good at making little shapes on my finger nails when chipping nail polish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.