One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly infectious and usually fatal viral disease of rabbits, causing swelling of the mucous membranes and inflammation and discharge around the eyes.
- ‘The outbreak of myxomatosis was in full swing after arriving in Craven.’
- ‘The club noted that the red squirrel was an increasingly rare sight but no-one had spotted a grey squirrel and the arrival of the rabbit disease myxomatosis in the area had not been noticed.’
- ‘As the weather gets warmer the fatal disease myxomatosis spreads faster.’
- ‘The success of myxomatosis in controlling rabbit numbers brought new public prestige, and a detailed program of wool research was undertaken.’
- ‘The situation has become so dire that some of Bedfordshire's farmers are calling for the reintroduction of myxomatosis.’
- ‘Owners of pet and show rabbits were advised to have their animals inoculated against myxomatosis or cover their hutches with buttered muslin.’
- ‘The country people were shunning the fruit because flies, which settled on dead rabbits with myxomatosis, also alighted on brambles.’
- ‘That arose because myxomatosis is a pox virus disease.’
- ‘The rabbit disease myxomatosis had finally reached the area, with an outbreak on the moors above Settle.’
- ‘The problem could arise if this population suddenly vanished, as it has done in the past due to myxomatosis.’
- ‘We get a lot of calls asking if we can home unwanted bunnies, but we can't, partly because of the dangers of disease, such as myxomatosis, to our own.’
- ‘He only ever caught one blind old rabbit its eyes clouded over with myxomatosis.’
- ‘There is a vaccine available for myxomatosis, which can be given from six weeks of age.’
- ‘A potential solution to the rabbit problem was found, in the form of a virus that causes a rabbit disease called myxomatosis.’
- ‘It seemed only a matter of time before the ‘grim’ disease of myxomatosis struck Craven.’
- ‘It worked well with myxomatosis on rabbits, and cactoblastis on prickly pears.’
- ‘At the moment in the country we are hearing reports of myxomatosis among rabbits.’
- ‘Before myxomatosis, rabbit stews and pies were everyday fare in Britain.’
- ‘We know that germs develop an immunity to antibiotics, insects develop resistance to insecticides, rabbits develop resistance to myxomatosis.’
- ‘Before the onslaught of myxomatosis in the 1970s, rabbit was a common cheap food source used by all classes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.