Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Swelling of the skin and underlying tissues giving a waxy consistency, typical of patients with underactive thyroid glands.
- ‘He supports this with reference to a retrospective analysis of the records of 50 patients with myxoedema.’
- ‘The differential diagnosis includes venous stasis dermatitis, pretibial myxedema, filariasis, and ichthyosis.’
- ‘The presence of goiter, coarse hair, dry skin, carotenemia, and myxedema indicates hypothyroidism.’
- ‘Patients with myxedema present with rough skin of the palms, soles, elbows and knees, and yellow-orange discoloration of the skin, along with other signs of hypothyroidism.’
- ‘I changed my hairdresser but the possibility of myxoedema did not enter my head.’
- 1.1The more general condition associated with hypothyroidism, including weight gain, mental dullness, and sensitivity to cold.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.