One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crustacean of an order that comprises the opossum shrimps.
Order Mysidacea, class Malacostraca
- ‘Three taxa dominated: copepods (cyclopoids and Eurytemora), mysids, and sand shrimp.’
- ‘Adult land-locked fish eat mostly zooplankton, especially larger varieties such as copepods, cladocerans, mysids, and ostracods.’
- ‘They feed on mysids, small shrimp-like crustaceans, and other small crustaceans, plankton, and larval fish.’
- ‘They feed on crustaceans, such as the small shrimp-like mysids.’
- ‘Fishes were fed brine shrimps, small, wild-caught crustaceans, and frozen mysids ad lib.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Mysis (genus name) + -id.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.