Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Surgical incision into the eardrum, to relieve pressure or drain fluid.
- ‘If fluid was apparent, myringotomy was performed, and the fluid was sent for culture.’
- ‘The surgical procedures were adenoidectomy, myringotomy, and tympanoplasty.’
- ‘If effusion was still found two weeks later, myringotomy was performed.’
- ‘A myringotomy drains the fluids and prevents the build up of fluids in the future.’
- ‘However, this resolution frequently required myringotomy or followed spontaneous perforation of the tympanic membrane.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin myringa eardrum + -tomy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.