One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surgical incision into the eardrum, to relieve pressure or drain fluid.
- ‘If fluid was apparent, myringotomy was performed, and the fluid was sent for culture.’
- ‘The surgical procedures were adenoidectomy, myringotomy, and tympanoplasty.’
- ‘If effusion was still found two weeks later, myringotomy was performed.’
- ‘A myringotomy drains the fluids and prevents the build up of fluids in the future.’
- ‘However, this resolution frequently required myringotomy or followed spontaneous perforation of the tympanic membrane.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin myringa ‘eardrum’ + -tomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.